The Palstar LA-1K LDMOS Amplifier is a 1000W solid-state amplifier. Built with dual LDMOS transistors, they deliver the full 1000 watts with 35 to 50 of drive. It has “RF Sensing” so an interface cable is not needed, but can be used if desired.
The LA-1K will works with most tuners and transceivers. It’s was designed to be a perfect match for the Palstar HF-AUTO automatic antenna tuner. This amplifier is equipped with a color TFT touch screen for smooth operating and quick status checks.
It features a reliable T/R Vacuum relay, and a built-in 50Vdc, 42A power supply provides all the power it needs. Designed with “Pure Signal” to have clean and crisp output signal.
The Palstar LA1K has far exceeded all of the FCC testing standards. It delivers an exceptionally clean signal, and high efficiency RF amplification on all amateur bands.
There is one input and three antenna outputs(so239), along with two RCA phono jacks for keying and ALC. There are two DB9 connectors for band data interface cables.
And a power plug connector for the included power wires, and the amplifier comes with two power cables, One is for 220 volts and the other is for 110 volts so there is no rewiring to change supply voltages.
A ground screw with wing nut keeps it all grounded.
Palstar LA-1K LDMOS Amplifier Protection
- BYPASS Id: This fault protects the transistors when the current drain exceeds 45.9A.
- BYPASS TEMP: This fault trips when the heatsink temperature has exceeded 99°C.
- TX OVERDRIVE: This fault protects the transistors if the drive levels exceeding 70 watts
- BYPASS FQ: This fault displays when MARS operators transmit on 2.002, 4.502, 9.002, or 22.002 MHz
There is a UART jack on the front panel for easy updating. A stand USB to UART(printer cable) will do the job nicely. The software and updates are free from Palstar.
Palstar LA-1K SPECIFICATIONS:
- SSB up to 1000 watts
- CW up to 1000 Watts ICAS
- FM/RTTY up to 500 watts
- AM up to 275 watts maximum carrier
- 1.8 to 54 MHz
- Color TFT touch screen display
- 10 to 55W drive power
- 3 RF SO-239
- ALC circuit
- 13dB Gain + or – 1dB
- RF sensing
- Auto Band Switching w/without Band Data Cable
- Vacuum RELAY T/R Switching
- 100 to 125VAC 15A or 200 to 250VAC 10A
- 50VDC at 42A Power Supply
- 2 x 5600H 600W LDMOS Transistors
- Variable 3 Speed cooling Fans
- Pure signal at +10dBm
- 2 Year warranty
- Powder coated 11 gauge aluminum chassis
- 12.75″ wide x 6.25″ high x 16.5″ deep
- 27 lbs. (12.25 kg) Shipping weight
Palstar LA-1K LDMOS Amplifier Review
I bought this about two years ago and have never regretted it, It performs flawlessly. During the unboxing, I noticed it had a solid feel. The connections were simple and straight forward, the first power up was impressive.
The set up was just a few button presses and I was transmitting. I set it up with the Palstar AT2K that I was already using. My drive power runs between 15 and 40 watts, and it puts out between 200, and 900 watts. I never push it past 900 watts SSB and run around 250 to 350 on CW.
You can hear the fans, but they are not obnoxiously loud. I use it with an interface cable and band changes are instantaneous, keying is too. The color display is bright and colorful, and buttons are accurate.
The firmware update went smoothly, and the instructions were clear and easy to follow. I am extremely satisfied with the amplifier. If I had to find something to complain about, I would complain that there is not an LA-2K.